Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Lyn53

Broadband and phone activation

I would just like to say that I am really pleased so far with my changeover from Plusnet to SKy.  I was activated yesterday,  and all went very smoothly.  My router arrived a couple of days before the switchover and I was able to set it up very easily.  I wasn't sure when I should set up the new router but around 2pm my old broadband stopped working, so I set up the router at that time and got instant access.   I didn't even notice the changeover of the phone line but I must assume that I now have a Sky line. 

Broadband speeds are a bit variable at the moment and a couple of times I have had a few seconds of no connectivity but already the connection seems much smoother than my Plusnet service and I am looking forward to getting Anytime plus set up.

Only problem at the moment is that one of our computers (out of three) just won't set up wirelessly, it runs wired but cannot get it to run wirelessly even though it is showing excellent connection to Sky broadband.  It is a windows xp computer and if anyone has any ideas what I might do to get it running wirelessly, I would be very grateful.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
caesarome

Re: Broadband and phone activation

What happens when you try to connect it to the sky signal it finds ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Lyn53

When I go into internet explorer it says IE cannot display the webpage, but the network connection shows a strong signal from the sky connection.  The sky connection says a local network cable is unplugged.

Super User
caesarome

Lyn53 wrote:

but the network connection shows a strong signal from the sky connection.  The sky connection says a local network cable is unplugged.

Forget about IE for a minute. In the Network Connection bit, what happens here when you press the Conect button to connect to your wireless connection ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Lyn53

In the Network connecter, it is showing a strong connection to the Sky router.  If I disconnect and reconnect again then it immediately connects up to the Sky network.  Is this what you are asking?

Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi Lyn53,

You mention you disconnect and reconnect again, when reconnecting are you being asked to type in the Network Key which can be found on the bottom of the router?

On this laptop, are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?

Thanks,

Retired Staff Member
FluffyPink

Occasional Visitor
Mystourport

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the patience and expertise of your engineer.    With his help my ;roblem has been solved, so

help reference  is now complete as far as I am concerned.    Your help is much appreciated

Occasional Visitor
Megi

I have activated broadband and phone on october and I haven't received broadband router yet. I am not sure but probably it's some problem with my account and  can't add to my account router and I still waiting. It is horrible.

Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi Megi,

It seems strange that you have not received your router yet.  Have your services been active since October?  Have you tried to chase this up with us at any point at all?

Thanks,

Occasional Visitor
23charlie

I have no connection ev en though track my order says my line is active, i have no active phone line or broad band! this was supposed to have been ready on 17th it is now 22nd and nothing and i have struggled to get in touch with sky!

Community Coordinator
chelsea12

Hi 23charlie

Nice to catch your 1st post on the Sky Forum

On the day of the activation it can take upto 12 midnight for the service to become active.

Have you set up the Router yet , as you will see the internet light change to green once its active also.

Thanks   

Jane
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Regular Visitor
Play+Megadrive

Hi my had Sky broadband with no issues then I moved house and had to disconnect for two weeks, no worries. My activation date was today and I have everything hooked up (latest Sagem router), but there is no access, and thats ok too as I know it can take up until Midnight, but the green @ symbol is not even lit green or red, its just not on at all. If there was no access I would expect it to be red and I would just wait for it to green, but not even lit?

I have checked the cabling, its all fine, phone line is fine. Can anyone help with this?

Regular Visitor
Play+Megadrive

its ok its on now!

Occasional Visitor
Julianna1973

Today is our broadband & phone activation date, phone has been up & running since 7 30 but nothing on the broadband as yet! I have read that if the @ sign is showing red then it's a faulty router! I don't want to wait for hours on a connection that won't come up!!