Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
Explorer
Hambonz
Accepted Solution

Broadband Usage Tool

Hi,

Is there a online Sky broadband usage tool for unlimited broadband users ? 

I believed my Internet usage is small, so I called Sky with a view to reducing my unlimited service down to the free service capped at 2GB/month, but was shocked to learn that I've used >7GB in the last week.

I know I can install tools on my desktop and laptop, but hoped that Sky themselves could monitor and provide such information - even for their unlimited customers. 

--

HammY

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
Damien-SW

Re: Broadband Usage Tool

no they don't as why provide something that may convince people to pay less.  does not make business sense

also there some many tool out there its not like they need anotherone

but if you want to watch how much you using try this tool

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html

----------------------------
If I have replied to one of your post for help and asked a question which you have answered but not got a reply from me feel free to PM to remind me to check your post.

Also if i have helped please click on kudos and if I solved the problem please make my post as a solution.

Damien
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
caesarome

It makes perfect business sense not to provid the Unlimited customers with the usage tool. However there is software out there that will do the job for you, I used to use a small program called Net Meter, howvere it can only monitor the on PC so if you have more than one then you would have to install on each computer and add the totals up.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Protégé
MadMaxPR

Hi,

tbbmeter has a page that adds all the totals up for you. You register each computer on the network to a thinkbroadband.com account and the usage from all computers registered appear on a page with all the totals.

This is mine for this month http://tbbmeter.thinkbroadband.com/graphs/2011/04/07/897471710.png (link will expire after 7days.)

Grapth options: 

Month View
Week View
Daily View
Daily High Res

Regards,
Mark
If this post has helped you in anyway please click the Kudos thumbs up button to thank me.
Explorer
Hambonz

Thanks.   

One final question:  is  Sky's capped usage for download only ?, or is it combined data sent and received ?

--

HammY

Staff
Robert

Hi Hambonz, 

Both download and upload activity is counted into your usage.

Movin' on Up
Skytime

You can also ask them to notify you by email when you reach 50/75/90 % off the 2gb allowance via email should you wish. Yaknow the general terms about it anyways ya ? that if you do go over the limit twice in a 6 momnth period you will be auto upgraded back to the unlimited broadband service so at least they wont jsut charge you per mb like some other companies do! :smileyvery-happy:
Getting There
riverwide

[ Edited ]

I joined Sky on 8th. The broadband usage is still showing that day as the last day anything was logged. When does it update?

Also, what happens when you reach the limit? I have set the email alert to 50%. However, if I go over does the account just stop or do I start racking up data charges?

The Fixer
xCarlxx

[ Edited ]

they just upgrade your package to unlimited. you have to wait 1 month before you can downgrade it.

Getting There
riverwide

That's outrageous!!!

Just upgrade you?!?!?!

Every other broadband package I've had just stops your download.

Esp when their broadband usage tool doesn't actualy log your usage.

Staff
Robert

Hi riverwide, 

For more information on our Sky Broadband Usage Policies please see http://www.sky.com/shop/terms-conditions/broadband/usage-policies/

This forms part of your Terms and Conditions for Sky Broadband which can be viewed at http://www.sky.com/shop/terms-conditions/broadband/ and will have been sent to you when you signed up for Sky Broadband.

Getting There
riverwide

All well and good. 

But can you give a reason why my Broadband usage tool is stuck on the day it was installed and I have no idea what the usage has been in the last week?

The Fixer
Tally1971

MadMaxPR wrote:

Hi,

tbbmeter has a page that adds all the totals up for you. You register each computer on the network to a thinkbroadband.com account and the usage from all computers registered appear on a page with all the totals.

This is mine for this month http://tbbmeter.thinkbroadband.com/graphs/2011/04/07/897471710.png (link will expire after 7days.)

Grapth options: 

Month View
Week View
Daily View
Daily High Res

Thabks MadmaxPR for the link.

Although I am a Sky Unlimited customer, I am curious to see how much I download per month, thanks again for the link.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you agree with what I've posted or I've been able to help you, then please click on the pink star on this post.
Staff
Malcolm-M

Hi Riverwide, has this started updating or are you still having problems?

Malcolm-M
Super User
Damien-SW

[ Edited ]

wrong most other ISP either bill you for your extra usage or cap your speed if you exceed you limit.

its not like 10£ is going to break the bank, if you don't like it leave.  I can tell you though you will not find a  better deal anywhere,  free 2GB internet is unknow, and true unlimited internet for 10£ can't be beaten.  If it could i would not be with sky

----------------------------
If I have replied to one of your post for help and asked a question which you have answered but not got a reply from me feel free to PM to remind me to check your post.

Also if i have helped please click on kudos and if I solved the problem please make my post as a solution.

Damien