Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
Getting There
LoyalButIrate

Box keeps losing signal when changing channels!!

Ok, heres the deal...

My sky box is plugged in via HDMI to my tv, it has been for a couple of years now and it has suffered not a single problem...until now.

As of two days ago (no update has influenced this problem i might add) whenever i change a channel, wether it be up/down button or by tapping in the 3 digit number, the screen goes black, the tv brings up the 'no signal' message and then maybe 6 seconds later i get picture back again.

Sometimes i wont even get my picture back unless i do a reboot...ie. turn it off and on again.

My worry is that one day ill lose the picture and it wont come back regardless of how many times i reboot.

So...i call the wonderful indian call centre...(really sky, really?) and after spending around 30 mins on the phone to the guy, still didnt have a solution. So then i call again (at my expense i might add) and this time he tells me to unplug and replug in the wires!!

yep...you read that right...

So after 50 mins on the phone the best solution would be to blow on a couple of wires which are screwed in at all times!

Pfftt...

Any help?!

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Getting There
LoyalButIrate

Re: Box keeps losing signal when changing channels!!

Also....should have mentioned...

I have updated the box but it didnt fix, also i have cleared the error logs "housekeeping" but to no avail.

I am really against paying £65 for an engineer to come and swap over the box or to look at it and suck air through his teeth and say...hmmm...thatll cost you £65.

I pay nearly £65 a month for my services and it seems ridiculous that we loyal paying customers are asked to fork out for this seeing as these boxes probably cost a fiver to make in china.

Anyway. Rant over....for now lol

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Wise Council
John8372

Am I correct in thinking that this is the TV's "no signal" message and not the "No satellite signal" from the sky box?

If so I would check the HDMI cable by unplugging it and plugging it back in again. Or try a different HDMI cable.

When you get a no signal does changing the TV's input source, usually marked AV or a box with arrow pointing into it on the remote, do you get the picture back.

What is the HD Resolution Output set to? Press services on your Sky remote then select settings using the right arrow button and press select. If It's set to Auto try 1080i.

Getting There
LoyalButIrate

Yes this is the tvs 'no signal' and not the sky box.

The HDMI cable is fine, always has been (3years) and ive tried all the usual 'unplug and plug back in' quick fixes but the problem still persists.

My sky box is plugged into my av receiver and ive tried plugging it into different HDMI ports to see if it was my receivers ports that were the problem but nope...

My resolution settings are, and always have been 1080i. I havent changed any settings on it in the past 3 years since i got sky tv.

Its gotta be a hardware issue, it cant be anything else as i havent had any updates recently, i havent installed any new equipment other than my projector and HDMI splitter back in january and its been fine up until a few days ago.

Staff
Anne-M

Hi LoyalButIrate,

I can see that you joined the forum recently and this has been your first enquiry with us, so I would like to welcome you to the forum :smileyhappy:

The blanking picture issue sounds like it could be similar to HDCP problems.

There is a few things that you could try to see where the issue is lying:

• Try another HDMI socket on the TV.
  • Try another HDMI cable
  • Contact your TV manufacturer to see if your TVs firmware is up to date, as TVs with outdated firmware can cause HDCP errors.

If all of these have been tried, and the TV's firmware is upto date, can you let me know the following information so we can help further.

• Make and model of TV
  • Version and model of the Sky+HD box (you can find this out by pressing services on the remote control, followed by numbers 0 then 3)

Thanks,

Anne
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Getting There
LoyalButIrate

[ Edited ]

Hi there.

The firmware issue is completely redundant seeing as my tv is not internet compatible so upgrading is abit of an impossibility.

Ive tried a few different HDMI leads but fail to see that this is an issue as ive used the same one for a couple of years, never moved it a millimetre so that shouldnt be an issue...i cant see it just 'failing' all of a sudden.

My sky box...

And the model is...

[REMOVED] 

Version...

[REMOVED] 

Hope this helps.

Super User
Mark39

LoyalButIrate wrote:

The firmware issue is completely redundant seeing as my tv is not internet compatible so upgrading is abit of an impossibility.

Not necessarily. If your TV has a USB port, some manufacturers allow you to upgrade via that.

I'm New Here
mrsjanicebell

Did you ever resolve this? It's a complete copy of my problem. After 10 years of Sky i think I'll give up

Retired Staff Member
Fraser-H

Hi mrsjanicebell,

I am glad to see that you have joined the forum and have created your first post.

I'm sorry to read that you are also having the same issues as the poster above had a while back of your box seemingly disconnecting whenever changing channel, have you tried all the troubleshooting suggested by my colleagues previously? Including updating the firmware of your TV if possible at all? How long have you noticed this issue happening for? Hopefully it hasn't been the duration of your time with us.

If you can get back to us answering the questions above it will allow us to look into this matter further for you.

Thanks

Getting There
janiemac

Problem with sky box it keeps losing plannerlosing listings and cant change the channel .we can fix this by doing housekeeping fix but it only lasting a few hours and the same problem happens again if I do a full master reset then will I lose all the stuff I have in my planner?? Please help before I throw box out of window cheers
I'm New Here
My+mate+Chester

I too have this exact same problem. The TV and Sky+ HD box has been setup and working normally for a year or more and then starts losing channels with no record of recorded programs available, when you try to search or attempt to change channels, then requires a reboot to restore things - albeit temporarily.

It then happens again, once you've been watching the TV for a random amount of time.

The Sky engineer when called went through the HDMI cable swap, connections etc. but to no avail. The software update looked hopefull, but no, still doing the same.

Would like some help if anyone knows an answer!!

Please :-)

Getting There
janiemac

Can we get an answer too having 2 rebuild every couple of hours or so