Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
Leeanne25

Box Freezing/Anytime & Programmes Lost

Hi

I've just got off the phone to Sky regarding problems regarding my Sky+ box and they are insisting it's my fault.

The box has frozen twice in the last 24 hours.  I've taken the usual steps, i.e. unplugged the box, left it for a few minutes and then plugged it in etc etc.  The first time it happened ALL the programmes I had recorded disappeared along with Anytime.  I carried out a "Sky+ Planner Reset" and all that happen were 5 programmes reappeared on Anytime.  Usually I have pages worth of programmes.  Nothing reappeared under my planner.  I was able to record a programme last night with no problems.

However, tonight the box froze again... same thing recorded programmes gone along with Anytime.  Carried out yet another "Planner Reset", nothing, not even a couple of programmes on Anytime.  So I did a full system reset, nothing to lose, programmes are already done.  Still nothing.  So I phoned Sky.  The advisor I spoke to is adamant that I deleted all the programmes along with Anytime on both occasions.  He said that Sky will not take any further actions until 72 hours after this call.  I am absolutely certain that I did not accidently press any button that would delete anything off my box.  I was simply watching tv went to change channels to discover the box had frozen.  First time, there was a programme recording and the "freeze" happened 5 minutes into the recording.  Second, nothing was being recorded.

Forgetting what Sky are saying (that I'm a complete div), has anyone experienced this before?  Is this a sign that my hard drive is on it's way out?  I've had the box now for almost 5 years.  Once okay, happy to move on and forget about all the recorded programmes I've lost.  Second time, I'm getting a little worried now.

Cheers.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
Leeanne25

Re: Box Freezing/Anytime & Programmes Lost

[ Edited ]

I've just read that it can take a while to rebuild Anytime, so I get that now.  But am still worried about the constant freezing (along with the attitude of the Sky advisor, which has annoyed me to no end.  Totally the wrong time, the day after I phone Sky to tell them I'm switching broadband providers ... got talked out it with a better deal but now...). 

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
kato

Leeanne25 wrote:

I've just read that it can take a while to rebuild Anytime, so I get that now.  But am still worried about the constant freezing (along with the attitude of the Sky advisor, which has annoyed me to no end.  Totally the wrong time, the day after I phone Sky to tell them I'm switching broadband providers ... got talked out it with a better deal but now...). 

The anytime content will take a few day's to repopulate.

With the fault you have described is there any chance you have a Thomson box.If so and you have done the planner rebuild,full system reset and it is still freezing up it may be time to think about a new box and call sky.

Sky can replace your box for a one off fee of £65.00 this also includes labour or visit the Sky shop and go for a upgrade.

http://www.sky.com/shop/customer-shop/

___________________________________________________________________________________________

If you have been helped by someone please click on the thumbs up icon to give them Likes.
Occasional Visitor
Leeanne25

Thanks Kato, you've been most helpful

It is a Thomson box and I did phone Sky in the hope they would arrange a replacement.  But all I got was the response as detailed in my original post.  I shall phone them tomorrow, during the day in the hope I get through to a UK contact centre.

(I have clicked the star under your name) 

Retired Staff Member
GRF4784

Hi Leeanne25,

I'm sorry to hear you have had a tough time so far.

I have sent you a personal message please respond to details and we will look in to getting this sorted for you.

Thanks,

Regular Visitor
lynmr

I get the box freezing problem a lot, dont have anytime as my box is too old,   reluctant to have to pay for a replacement box or increase my subscription to HD to get a free box when i dont have HD televisions, also dont want multiroom,  any chance of better deal for replacement box if indeed this is the problem

Retired Staff Member
Jenny-S

[ Edited ]

Hi lynmr,

Sorry to read that you are having issues with your box freezing. Can you advise what type of box you have and also if you have carried out any troubleshooting for this?

If you haven't then click this link for a Planner Rebuild

Let us know how you get on,

Jenny
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Regular Visitor
lynmr

sorryfor delayd reply only just found your answer -  please see my post below - still not solved - npw getting extremely frustrated and seriously thinking of leaving sky

Hi i phoned customer servies today about the above problem with my sky viewing.  We have an old sky+ box (a grey one) but I dont think this is the problem.  At least once per week we are having to unplug etc to reset the sky.  The lnb was reset over the telphone when i last phoned and this seemed to sort the problem until last night.   We are now seriously thinking of changing to another supplier because of these problems it is most annoying, paying for a service we are only receiving intermittently.  

Today we were offered either a free service visit, or a sky+HD box for £29 plus £15 installation.   I didnt really want to pay for another box, so maybe the service visit is the best option, but I also feel a new box may solve the problem, could you please see your way to a free service visit where the engineer can check the dish, cabling etc and also install a free sky+ HD box. 

Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi lynmr,

I am sorry to see that you are still having ongoing issues here.  Can you confirm if you tried performing the planner rebuild as suggested by Jenny?

Are you aware that if you go for the free service call option, this will include a replacement box if the box you have just now is no longer functioning?  Have you decided which option you are going to go for yet?

Many Thanks,

Occasional Visitor
Van+Zandt

The problem with the sky employees that we 'chat' to do not have any technical knowledge, they are reading from a manual! they only know what is in front of them unfortunately, if you want to solve a problem or have any queries you are better talking to a sky engineer