Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
SteveL65
Accepted Solution

Boosting home wireless signal

I have Sky Braodband which works well. One weakness is that the wireless signal does not extend to half the house. I have 2 phone jacks (both with modem jacks) and wondered whether I could place a second router in the spare one or buy something to boost the signal accross more of the property. Does anyone know how best to go about doing this ..?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
caesarome

Re: Boosting home wireless signal

Have you tried changing the channel your router broadcasts the wireless signal on ?

To do this click here:

http://192.168.0.1

Username - admin

Password - sky

And look for the wireless setting option, you should then see the broadcasts channel that it is currently broadcasting on, you can change it for anything between 1 to 13. Try 12 or 13 to see if that makes a difference.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
mhamilton

I had exactly the same issue - the old white Sky router had great range and an antenna that I could swap out for a high gain antenna.  The new black Sky router has no antenna and lousy range.  I ended up buying a range extender from Amazon in January 2011 and would highly recommend it: NETGEAR WN2000RPT Universal WiFi Range Extender - Wireless network extender - 802.11n - 802.11b/g/n  It is currently £59.99 plus £1.45 shipping from Amazon. Just make sure you set it up with the same password as the Sky router, so you can easily move around the house and the laptop will seemlessly switch between signals.

Just to prove how lousy the standard Sky router is?  When sitting in the living room (which is next to the study where the Sky router is) my laptop gets a stronger signal from the range extender (which is upstairs and twice the distance away from me) than from the Sky router!

The Sky router is the cheapest router Sky could get away with supplying.

Regular Visitor
RAPalfrey10

Im thinking of buying this, but do u connect it from your sky router by ethernet cable or do you have to plug it in a phone line ?

many thanks

Occasional Visitor
Dan+The+Ram

I took the plunge with a netgear wifi booster from currys for approx £49. The kids wanted something to boost wifi signal to PS3. Set up was a doddle - just plugged it in at the other end of the house, pressed the WPS button on side of sky router and it found it straight away. You then search the signal again from PS3 or any other device and choose the one with EXT on it (I assume this refers to extension). Password is same as before. That's it......signal now never drops and everyone happy. Our experience is that netgear and sky work happily together.