Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
I'm New Here
lozblower

Blue screen when playing back recorded programs - but only some!

Started having problems with our HD box, recorded CSI Miami Saturday evening, came to play it yesterday and its just a blue screen all the way through, sat down to watch Mythbusters today that was blue as well!  Extreme Makeover exactly the same, yet the Borgias recorded last night is fine, whats going on??

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Getting There
chrysalia

Re: Blue screen when playing back recorded programs - but only some!

We have been getting the same problem!

Last week we had set up 'series link' to record 'The Borgias' and 'Sinbad', both failed to record although they showed up on the Planner as recorded and took up disk space on our Sky box. We had the same blue screen and no sound when we tried to play them!

Other programmes we had set up recorded OK.

As these programmes had more than one showing we set them up to record again and even one of those failed in the same way.

This has been happening on certain programmes for ages.  'A Town called Eureka' is another one that comes to mind as well as 'Haven'.  It is very irritating when 'series link' has been activated to record a series and it is even worse when it is a new series eg. 'Person's Unknown' and you miss the first episode.  It is even worse when there are no other showings.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Getting There
Darkelf

Alas, had the same problem.  Try stopping the playback, restarting the sky box and trying again.  Let me guess this has only happend since the software update?

I changed my Sky + box and now it does random records depending on its mood.  If it doesn't like something it won't record.

Really so annoying.

Good Luck

Getting There
chrysalia

Tried re-starting the Sky+ box but still can't view supposedly recorded programme.

This seems to be an ongoing problem, as it was happening long before the software update

You are right - it is really annoying especially when you miss crucial episodes.

Our Sky+ box is only 50% full so that isn't the problem and it sounds from your experience that changing the box doesn't work either.

It is so frustrating!

Staff
Anne-M

Hi All,

For those experiencing blue screens on playback, can you try a planner rebuild if you haven't attempted this procedure? If you have tried this and still seeing this issue, the next step would be a full system reset (please note that this will delete all planned and existing recordings, and Showcase/Anytime content).

Thanks,

Anne
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Getting There
sarahsky

We have the same problem, have done planner rebuild several times. Also hard reset procedure several times. Each time, it seems to solve the problem for a few days or weeks and then back to the same problem.

This is very frustrating as it seems to always happen with the same series, and after trying to re-record it several times, you can end up missing a crucial episode.

The box also "loses" series links.

Considering the cost of my subscription, I think I am paying a lot for a service I can't use half the time.

Getting There
dave+Buckley

Hi seem to have a similar problem to a growing number of subscribers . Some recordings on Hd box freeze repeatedly until box becomes unresponsive, done reset & planner rebuild still the same . Sky need to sort problem before Ii bail out to Virgin especially since they charge a fortune for a new box & won,t budge on price when paying £60 pm for their services.

I'm New Here
Storm67

Also had this problem for a while... it's getting really annoying now.

Paying a fortune for the service and sky won't even replace the box you have to have to receive their subscription service!

Seriously considering leaving sky now, may go for freesat or similar very soon.

Getting There
sarahsky

The problem was resolved for us when the new EPG came out (early November for us), haven't had the same problem since - fingers crossed and touching wood!

I'm New Here
S.Blakemore

Right had this problem for a few days now. Some of the shorter programs record and play without a problem but a lot of the longer ones, (along with some shorter programs to) just come up with a blue screen. Disk space is still consumed by the recording and the select, info and program settings all show up and work as they should do. I immediately did a 'Sky+ Re-build' by pressing 'Services' then in quick succession pressing '0-0-1 Select'. This did not resolve the problem and by the look of the error i dont think that would work for anyones box. 

I also tried another technique where you turn on the Sky+ box, take out the HDMi cable from both ends, Re-boot the box by holding down the power button on the front of the box for 10 seconds. Wait 5 mins then re-connect the HDMi cables, wait for the sky box to initialise and turn on. After this i had a small result where by one of my previously 'blue screen recordings' did actually work and show a picture again. proving it was never a recording issue, BUT the others still did not work and still froze the box after attempting to play them. So no real luck with that one either, although i can rule out it being a HDMi error.

As i refuse to do a full system reset and i have to much content i dont want to lose, plus i have read multiple forums and it hasn't worked for anyone so would seem a pointless excerise!

I put it to any sky engineer to please help us all out and come up with an awnser! there has to be a way to fix this as i would prefer not to leave Sky! 

Regards, Sam.

Getting There
sarahsky

Hi, the problem was fixed for us when a new version of software came out for the box and was automatically installed for us. Maybe ask Sky if you have the most up to date version?

Retired Staff Member
Emma-O

Thanks for taking the time to post and welcome S.Blakemore,

As Sarahsky advised can you confirm your Version and Model number? You can check this by using your remote control pressing, Service>Settings then Details.

If your Sky Box is up to date then the next step would need to be a Full System Reset. I understand you don’t want to lose your recordings however this is something the engineer would try.

If it came down to getting your Sky Box replace then again you would lose all recordings. We are unable to transfer recordings from one box to another.

Remember you can copy your existing recordings to a DVD recorder or even a VCR.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks.

Getting There
dantimps

I had this issue, have just completed the re-build and not seems to be working fine.

Thanks

Retired Staff Member
Emma-O

Thanks for posting Dantimps,

Glad to see your issue is now resolved :smileyhappy:

If you have any other questions free feel to post again.

Thanks,

Getting There
Angie.L

I am having the same issue recordings are bluescreen, then when you return to planner the normal programs have blue screened so frustrating! i have unplugged waited done housekeeping all to no avail! this box is less than a year old!

i am a SKY PIONEER even though 90% of even sky agents have no clue to what that means! i have been with sky since day one over 23 years!

though it does irk me that the £65 i pay a month does not cover break downs i pay $12 extra for sky protection! yet virgin do it for free!

incidentally the comment you can copy recorded programs to vhs or dvd is ok BUT WHEN the fault is non playback how do you suggest we do that?