Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
Strummerville

'Best' method of connecting home cinema to SKY+HD?

Hi all

First post here so apologies if in wrong section, did try a search first but didn't quite get the information I needed.

I have a SKY+ HD box connected to an LG PM680T via HDMI. I want to add a home cinema/surround sound system to the mix.

Am I right in thinking the (only) way to do this is to connect the TOSLink from SKY HD --> Surround System (and enable DD 5.1 output in the EPG) because of the lack of DD over HDMI from SKY+ boxes?

I ask because on another forum a person suggested to someone SKY HD --> HDMI --> TV then TV --> TOSLink --> Surround Sound (so other devices such as XBOX, DVD etc. can also benefit from DD/Surround when connected to the TV) but would this work based on the lack of DD over HDMI? If the HDMI is not carrying DD/5.1 (when transmitted) from the SKY HD to the TV over HDMI how would it be possible to get it in the 2nd stage (TV to Home Cinema)?

Also related to this can someone suggest a reasonable (budget) surround system for use with SKY HD? I'm not wanting a DVD/BluRay Player, just the sub and speakers (with the amp/receiver electronics 'embedded' in the sub like the XBOX Surround System) if this is possible?

Thanks for reading!

Ali

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
Mark39

Re: 'Best' method of connecting home cinema to SKY+HD?

Strummerville wrote:

Am I right in thinking the (only) way to do this is to connect the TOSLink from SKY HD --> Surround System (and enable DD 5.1 output in the EPG) because of the lack of DD over HDMI from SKY+ boxes?

If you're talking about Sky+HD, then yes, that's correct.

I ask because on another forum a person suggested to someone SKY HD --> HDMI --> TV then TV --> TOSLink --> Surround Sound (so other devices such as XBOX, DVD etc. can also benefit from DD/Surround when connected to the TV) but would this work based on the lack of DD over HDMI? If the HDMI is not carrying DD/5.1 (when transmitted) from the SKY HD to the TV over HDMI how would it be possible to get it in the 2nd stage (TV to Home Cinema)?

SkyHD (not Sky+HD) does output DD over HDMI, so yes, this would work if the TV sends DD over its optical output.

It wouldn't work for Sky+HD for exactly the reasons you mention.

Also related to this can someone suggest a reasonable (budget) surround system for use with SKY HD? I'm not wanting a DVD/BluRay Player, just the sub and speakers (with the amp/receiver electronics 'embedded' in the sub like the XBOX Surround System) if this is possible?

Hi Ali,

See above. Can't help with the surround sound system recommendation I'm afraid - I wonder if you might be better off trying a sound bar?

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Strummerville

Re: 'Best' method of connecting home cinema to SKY+HD?

^^^

Thanks Mark for your prompt response, appreciated. Yes, I did mean SKY+HD so should have specified; I do have a non-PVR box but that's in another room (and doesn't support 3D) so in this instance it isn't usable.

I will look into the soundbar option, previous owner had wired in speaker cable for rears under the floorbaordsso seems a shame to not utilise it ;-)

Thanks again.

Ali