Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M
Accepted Solution

Anytime+ and Thomson HD Boxes

Given that Anytime+ software has begun reaching Amstrad, Pace and Samsung HD receivers, can you please confirm or deny that Thomson HD boxes are not suitable for this upgrade, and will therefore remain without access to Anytime+, even although their owners may have Sky Broadband, and also Sky World packages?  Is it fair to penalise longstanding customers who just happen to still have boxes that Sky issued them with a few years ago?  In the event that Thomson boxes will not be Anytime+ capable, are Sky considering free ( or at least substantially reduced-price ) replacements for Thomsons?

Lastly, will Sky be notifying Thomson HD owners of the opportunity to avail themselves of free or reduced-price replacement boxes to receive the Anytime+ service, or will they be kept in the dark and be made to suffer in silence as owners of other box makes receive the full Sky service that every subscriber is entitled to?

Regards,

Ken M

Edinburgh

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
pblake80

Re: Anytime+ and Thomson HD Boxes

Fully Agree with the statement and Questions Ken has submitted here.  As an early adopter myself with an Original Thomson box which is still going without any breakdown / repairs (wow !) This might be a good time for Sky to reward my Loyalty and others like me before it does go bang!.:smileywink:  I do not have have Sky Broadband and one reason is - why should I if I cannot avail myself of the full service available .

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Visitor
chrisalanwest

I would like to add my voice to this thread and second the questions.

I spoke with someone in Customer Services a couple of hours ago and I was told that my Thomson box would be updated by the end of the month of October. I asked for verification and was told that I WOULD HAVE ANYTIME+ BY THE END OF THE MONTH.

But this seems to contradict the overwhelming opinion on other forums that the Thomson will never be Anytime+ ready. This seems very unfair - as us early adopters of HD are now being left at a disadvantage.

Please once and for all tell us the Thomson HD box position and our options should a box update not be available.

Super User
Dsldude

Sky have said the following on Twitter today "ALL boxes will be able to access Anytime+ from early next year"

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Sky Anytime+ will be gradually rolled out to all Sky+HD boxes beginning from 26th October and we hope to complete by the first part of 2011. This gradual roll-out will ensure that all our customers get the quality service they expect and deserve. We appreciate this may be frustrating for some customers but if they register their details by logging in at http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/anytime-plus/get-it-now/ we will let them know as soon as they can connect to the service.

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

Thank you.  Can you therefore give assurances to Thomson HD box owners that all Thomson Model & Versions will be upgraded?  Please don't regurgitate the party line about "all Sky HD boxes etc ".  I want to see the words "Thomson HD boxes will be upgraded" specifically mentioned, otherwise we will be asking the question "What are you hiding?"

pblake80

Excellent retort Ken

Occasional Visitor
mapster

I'm following this with interest as I have a Thomson box also.

I see that Sky say it will be rolled out to all Sky+ HD boxes. Now here's the thing, aren't the Thomson boxes labelled just Sky HD (no +), mine certainly is, so are they effectively saying that us Thomson owners won't get the update.

Visitor
chrisalanwest

That's a good point, Mapster. I've just checked mine and you're right it does indeed say SkyHD in the centre but it does have the Sky+ logo on the front (bottom left). Surely Sky wouldn't try and deprieve Thomson owners in such a devious way? It would be great if someone from Sky could once and for all tell us in black and white if our Thomson boxes are going to receive Anytime+. Better now than later because if we continue to receive the "all Sky+HD" response and our boxes turn out to be incompatible then there are going to be a lot of very angry customers.
Super User
Dsldude

God your a paranoid bunch :smileyvery-happy:

Sky+HD is just what they call them all now and a representative from Sky

is going to use the current common name for its product line.

I have a Thompson box too and i am confident after sky have said "ALL"

boxes, that it will eventually get the Anytime+ function, after all we did get

new HD epg first before all the other boxes, so if its now our turn to wait

a little for something so be it.

The box has a Ethernet socket on it, so it just needs correct software writing for it

even if it needs a particular type of software to the other boxes pretty much anything

can be overcome eventually, considering the Thompson box only accounts for about 15%

of all HD boxes out there, it would be silly to have delayed the launch of Anytime+ for all

other boxes owners.

Pete+H2K

I have been watching all these threads with interest.

I think the original post Malcolm made, with the stb type and model number was the best post. Although it didnt say my box was being updated, it let everybody know whos box was updated. then it was removed ??

What would be great is to have a list of compatable stb and the order they will be updated. I would like to know the date of course but, knowing the order of things to come will stop all the wishfull thinking and arguments in the threads.

It comes down to I could upgrade my stb tomorrow, to get anytime+, but I am happy to wait with the equipment I have. If after christmas it becomes apparent that Thompson boxes are not compatable, then I would have missed out on something great over christmas, which, with knowledge, is avoidable.

As a side comment, I contacted Sky Customer support, I was just able to make out that yes I do have a Sky HD stb, but the Indian customer support agent would not tell me what type it was. If I inturupted his line of thought (or sentence on the script) he would start again, repeating I have a HD box and it will be updated soon.

well, fingers crossed. I know Malcolm is reading these so please, put our mind to rest...

If this post has helped you, you can thank me by clicking the pink star to give me Kudos :-)
Pete+H2K

Interesting...

Just received an email,

Subject - watch movies on demand with anytime+

The wait is over, sky anytime+ is finally here...

But... No firmware update...

Lets log in to Sky and see if I can order it... Will keep you posted.

If this post has helped you, you can thank me by clicking the pink star to give me Kudos :-)
Pete+H2K

[ Edited ]

Bah. Thats unfair.

No new firmware, stll ...  :-

Unfortunately you do not have a Sky Anytime+ compatible box in your portfolio. We're gradually rolling out the service and it will be available on your Sky box soon.

So why send an email saying its here ?

and maybe I should read the email in full instead of the subject and first sentence.... :smileysad:

Hehe... I wonder how many phone calls Sky have had after people receiving that email but still cant get it ??

Pete+H2K

just found a tweet on twitter under skyhd stating that anytime+ will be available on Thomson early next year.

I feel happier now, but not completely happy until my "other" sources confirm this ...

Pete+H2K

[ Edited ]

This has been confirmed by my "other source", although when it will be available is down to Sky.

You can see more details in my other post at here

Cheers

Pete.