Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Community Manager
Sam-R

Android tablet beta trial [update]

[ Edited ]

Hello all,

The latest update from the Product team is below.

We have decided to extend the current Beta Trial of Sky Go on Android Tablets until Dec 3rd, while we look to address some streaming issues identified during the trial. Our intention is to launch the Sky Go Android Tablet application on December 3rd.

When the Sky Go app is officially released it will run on any Android tablet running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 and above.

The only devices on which the service will not run will be the Asus Transformer TF101 due to unresolvable streaming issues (specific to this device) and Amazon Kindle devices. 

Please note that the trial is currently closed to new applicants.

Sam
Community Manager (Apps & Online)
Forum Help http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/help/faqpage
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Frequent Visitor
chrisjones853

Re: Android tablet beta trial [update]

Hi Sam,

Can you help with a question re the Sky News app for Android? I've posted in the Sky News forum but no replies. Will we be getting the same app on Android that Sky have developed for iPad?
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Visitor
Slaphead7

Hi Sam,

Good to hear that the Sky Go app will be available on all Android devices using 4.0 or above from Dec 3 having just bought an Asus MeMo Pad HD7 (with Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean). Presumably, being a full Sky HD subscriber (ie. sports, movies ... the lot), even if overseas, I'll be able to access and download the new app to my tablet via the Google Play store and then watch Sky as/when I want ?

Yours

Paul (first time user of this message board and a newcomer to the world of tablets/apps)

Super User
rscott

@Slaphead7 . You can only use Sky Go to stream or download when in the UK. If you download in the UK you can then watch when overseas though.

Visitor
Slaphead7

Thanks rscott.

I'll just have to wait 'til I get back from holiday then. If I load the Sky News and Sky Sports News apps will I be able to access these facilities whilst overseas (eg. South Africa) ?

Yours gratefully

Slaphead7

Community Coordinator
Matthew-C

Hello chrisjones853 & Slaphead7, 

Thank you very much, both of you, for taking the time to post to our Community. :smileyhappy: 

To answer your question, Chris, the app for Android should have all the same facilities and features of the iOS app. It's an app I use quite regularly myself (on my iPhone) and it's superb. I imagine you'll really like it. 

Now onto you, Slaphead7. I can see that rscott beat me to the first question and the information given was spot on. You'd be unable to stream abroad but you can download some programming before you leave the UK and you would have no problem watching that abroad. With regard to your News apps, you shouldn't have any problem accessing those facilities when you are overseas. I would be cautious as I'd hate for you to build up huge charges on your mobile provider. I was in Spain recently and using my mobile internet connection cost me a small fortune. I'd hate for you to suffer a similar fate. :smileyhappy: 

If either of you have any more questions for me, please reply to this post. I'll be more than happy to help. Take care, 

Matt-C
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips

Visitor
Slaphead7

Thanks Matthew. Unfortunately I'll be leaving for my holiday before the Sky Go app becomes available on 3 Dec so won't be able to download before I go ... although my son says I may be able to use Sky Player to access some material to take with me. Regarding 'roaming' charges to access Sky Sports News/Sky News - don't think this will be a problem as I'll be using the Wi-fi facilities available at the places I shall be staying during my time abroad.

However, if you'd like some feedback re access from South Africa I'd be happy to provide details on my return.

Cheers and thanks again for the help/advice.

Slaphead7 

Community Coordinator
Andy-F21

Thanks for getting back to us on this Slaphead7, I can help clear up your queries regarding accessing content while roaming.

You'll be unable to access Sky content outwith the UK & Ireland as the i.p. address would be recognised as being outwith these areas.

I hope this information helps. If you need anything else at all, give me a shout and I'll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Andy
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips

Visitor
Khan+Shaz

Will the samsung galaxy tab 3 10.1" be available on dec 3rd   

Super User
caesarome

From the first post in this topic:

When the Sky Go app is officially released it will run on any Android tablet running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 and above.

So if it is running 4.0 then it should be able to run Sky Go from that date.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Visitor
Khan+Shaz

thanks for your reply ive got sky go on my 7" tab 2 and the picture quality is very poor on it i hope sky improve the picture quality on the tab 3 10.1"

Occasional Visitor
ma89

Hi,

Will this mean that SkyGo will be available on the NOOK HD+ ???

Contributor
theicon

The one tablet this app won't work on (TF101) and I had to own it. I am extremely gutted right now.

Occasional Visitor
Canny+Hazel

Im new to Sky as of yesterday, what sold me the package was things like Sky go on my tablet etc. Now its clear that il have to wait a bit longer before I can access it on my Samsung Galaxy Note Tab 10. Kinda gutted but please lets have it sorted by Christmas. Thanks Sky. 

Super User
KingfisherUK

[ Edited ]

@Canny+Hazel

If you have a read of the stickies at the top of the forum you will see that a tablet specific version of Sky Go is due to be released on December 3rd, following a successful beta trial.

So, all things being equal, you will have Sky Go on your Galaxy Tab before Christmas.

I am not a Sky employee, any opinions in my posts are entirely my own.