Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Senior Member (Bronze)
paul1360

Re: Adding more devices on skygo

[ Edited ]

Yes GaryC it was but her post has now been edited and it's been removed which is typical these days of Sky. Ok I understand that there has to be a limit me personally I'm happy with 2 would mind having 3 but that's life. The thing that bugs me and other's is the 1 change per month which is stupid,dull et al and it get's worst if you have a problem and carry out ant TS steps as it removes the devices and then you are stumped for a month, this also applies to new products that have just been bought . Crazy if you as me.

iechyd da

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Visitor

[ Edited ]

Afternoon all.

I have just got myself an Iphone. Tried watching tv via Skygo but said I have two devices registered and that I'd exceeded the limit of changes. I'm not sure I have to be fair. I added Skygo to my laptop last year. I also added it to my wifes Ipod in december. Over a month ago as it was before Christmas. I have not 'changed' anything, so not sure how I have "exceeded the number of changes allowed this month". Maybe I am not understanding what Sky mean by "changes". Would appreciate it if a Sky advisor would explain to me what I am doing wrong. 

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Just to add that I have checked my devices on the Sky go page and it says my laptop is not registered. So that would mean I have had only ONE device registered. It lists my Iphone but I have not been able to use it.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi 1871,

If you are being advised that you have exceeded your monthly changes then we are unfortunately unable to over ride this.

A change is classified as removing a device and then adding a new device.  If this is something that you have not done, then you may be best to contact us and we can look into this further.

Thanks,

Visitor

Garryc,

Thanks for the reply. I contacted SKY today and the bloke I spoke manaed to get Sky Go to work on my iPhone. Not sure what he did, but it worked.

Thanks.

Occasional Visitor
tomlondon

It doesn't look like Sky have thought seriously enough about this. I assume the 2 device limit is intended to stop non-subscribers using their friends' log-in details to get an effectively free subscription.

Many subscribers will not use Sky Go at all. But of those who do, a huge number must have more than 2 Sky Go compatible devices (most people with iPads, for example, will also have an iPhone and a laptop at least). So they are probably upsetting more people than they have pleased by providing the service. Such a shame when the system is good quality and Sky are usually ahead of the game technically.

A slightly disgruntled Sky viewer.

Senior Member (Bronze)
paul1360

Tom,

Sky have though about this policy and Sarah done a poll and found that most people only have 2 devices and don't need to change them often if not at all. Now who she spoke to and how they came to this is beyond a lot of us on here. In this day and age with tech being as it is and parents having on average 2.4 children then th poll is flawed in a big way,Some can see the limit of 2 being okish but would like to see more.The big thing that sky have got wrong  I personly think is the 1 change per 28 days no mater what is beyond stupid. I don't see why Sky don't allow more change's like when Go was released as there was less people complaining about.Surely the sky go app can be able to have more than 2 devices registered BUT only allow 2 to be used at anyone time, to me that is much better and more customer friendly and leave a lot of happy customers. I feel that with the way Sky are rolling out their service's to other's like BBC iplayer,ITV player et al then Sky could find they may loss their most important item from customers and that's MONEY. There again maybe they are not worried that their current customers may leave them and they loss this money who know's maybe not even sky!!!!!!!!

iechyd da

Occasional Visitor
sonickev

Bump - just released on android and I have run into the 2 device limit.

Surely, in houses that have a multiroom subscription, it should be at least 2 devices per box owned? Otherwise, with a family of 5, including 3 teenagers, the service is completely out of sync with the 80 pounds per month we pay to Sky!!!

I would have expected the service to at least be scalable to the rental package :smileysad:

I was quite excited, now quite disappointed. Another one of those stupid rules that does more harm than good to the honest fee paying subscribers.

Occasional Visitor
Bodrul321

Sky need to take a leaf out of Neflix' book. They allow unlimited devices but a 2 SIMULTANEOUS stream limit. This is so much better.
Occasional Visitor
Chrisp6

[ Edited ]

We are a flat of 3 people, all contribute to the Sky bill - We have an Xbox, each of us laptops and Android/iphones - With the Xbox registered we only have 1 available Sky Go account between 3 of us to use. Absolutely unacceptable! With the profileration of devices and the possibility of more than 1 person living in a property, 2 Sky go accounts is very unreasonable, and indeed misleading especially after viewing the Sky Go ads.

This policy needs serious rethinking. 

Occasional Visitor
Dan567

I have also just encoutnered this problem with the release of the Sky Go app on Android.

I swapped my netbook for my android phone earlier in the week to test it out and yesterday attempted to switch back to my netbook.  Sky allowed me to de-register my phone but NOT re-register the netbook.  As such, I now only have 1 device registered for, apparently, the rest of the month.

This is totally unacceptable in many ways.  Firstly, if the system is aware that I have already made more changes than allowed, why not warn of that before de-registering a device?  Secondly, why is the limit only 1 change per calendar month?  That's ridiculously over-zealous.  Thirdly, why only allow 2 devices to be used?  I have a desktop PC which I use to have Sky on, windowed, when working and doing other things on that PC, a netbook which I use to watch in other rooms and a mobile device to watch on the go - all of which should be acceptable uses for a Sky Go (the clue is in the frickin' name) account.

Additionally, the Sky help guidance on this is extremely misleading.  This article states that "The number of device changes a customer can make in a monthly period is variable and subject to fair use." and it then transpires that the number of device changes is not variable and is certainly not subject to fair use - no definition of fair use would be 1 change per calendar month.

Finally, when I did get in contact with Sky they refused to offer any assistance whatsoever and told me I'd just have to wait until next month before I could register a 2nd device.  So the rest of the month with only 1 device registered?  Totally unacceptable for what is a very expensive service.  I am this ' ' close to cancelling and moving to Virgin.

Retired Staff Member
GregorA

Hi Dan567,

It's great to see you have brought your queries to the Sky Forum, albeit difficult circumstances.

Now I can appreciate and understand your frustration in regards to the amount of changes you can make a month and also the amount of devices you can register. For a more definite answer, I would like to direct towards this page and you will be able to find out more information.

I would like to apologise if you feel the service wasn't up to the standard it should have been, however it would not be possible for an advisor to change the registered device for you.

If you have any further queries, then let us know.

Regards.

Super User
KingfisherUK

So the "advice" from a a "Sky Knowledge Advisor" is basically this:

Tough luck, that's the policy and we aren't making any exceptions.

This user has de-registered a device to test your Android App which, as has been well documented here, doesn't work properly/as expected. So now, due to the incompetence of Sky's (not the customer's) app writers, this user has only one usable device until the next month.

Despite this, Sky are so inflexible, they cannot deviate from the party line and reset the user's device count.

How are we to "Believe in Better" when there is not even an inkling of what could be perceived as customer service?

I am not a Sky employee, any opinions in my posts are entirely my own.

GregorA,

can you please answer as to why you have said this please:-

"I would like to apologise if you feel the service wasn't up to the standard it should have been, however it would not be possible for an advisor to change the registered device for you"

iechyd da

Retired Staff Member
GregorA

Hi paul1360,

I have responded with this post because the T&C's state that it's one change per month and you can register 2 devices. I also apologised if they feel the service that was provided was not up to the standard, however changing this is not something we can do via the Sky Forum or if they get in contact with us directly.

If you still have any further queries, then don't hesitate to ask me.

Regards.

Senior Member (Bronze)
paul1360

Thank you Gregor for your reply.

So basically at the end of the day Sky are saying tough luck to any loyal customer who may have a problem with sky go be it their fault or Sky's fault and we have to wait 28 days from the date it became unregistered then is it???

So the Sky policy of resetting the devices due to a technical problem is no longer in force??? This is what I mean:--

However, be assured that If a customer reaches the device limit due to technical issues outside of their control the Sky Go support team can identity this and rectify this.

Now if sky has removed this which it seems to be the case as I was laughed at when I said those words to CS and sky chat, then we can take that BSKYB COE lied when he gave the end of year report that he is going to improve Customer service to his loyal customers.

Well that's very nice to now and in fact his words mean nothing. Thank you very much Jeremy Darroch for your hollow words.

iechyd da