Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Frequent Visitor
jbeer
Accepted Solution

ADSL Micro Filter Help Please

Hi All,

Can anyone help me with how to best use Micro Filters and best way to to wire in extensions?

I have a BT Master Box but it is not ideal to have the router situated there as I really need it in my office upstairs.  I have from the Master Box 2 extension hardwired to the back of the box (1 going upstairs and the other to the lounge)....I already have Micro Filters on any sockets that have telephones attached with the exception of the Sky+HD telephone line which is hardwired to the back of the box in the lounge (small 1 socket box).

Am I best adding a Micro Filter just before the line goes into the Sky+HD box

Also how can I or can I improve on the performance of the router when it is in my office.

BT Master Box

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed14661 kbps906 kbps
Line Attenuation27.0 db15.9 db
Noise Margin7.3 db8.0 db

Office

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed10888 kbps874 kbps
Line Attenuation28.0 db16.5 db
Noise Margin10.4 db9.0 db

Many Thanks

Jason   :smileyhappy:

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
Dsldude

Re: ADSL Micro Filter Help Please

[ Edited ]

Everything that connects to your line must be filtered, otherwise you will seriously mess up your

potential speeds put errors on the line and generally make browsing very painful, ether add a filter at the Sky HD box or better yet get a prefiltered faceplate like this http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=3306

On the rear of the faceplate you connect the lounge extension to the 2/5 ports

they are filtered so no need for any other filters, the other extension that goes to

your office you connect to A/B these are unfiltered so have the ADSL signal on them

you then use 1 microfilter where your router will connect, no other filters around the

home are then needed.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
jbeer

Thanks for this Dsldude,

I have done another test and unplugged the Sky+HD Box from the telephone line and I am now getting 12mpbs and Noise is hovering around 7db.

I think I am going to get an In-Line Filter to add to the Sky+HD Box....currently for voice lines to the extensions I have wired all the ports 2-5....do I need all of these and could that be diluting the speed?   Do I just need 2 & 5 for voice lines and then add the In-Line Filters.

Cheers   :smileyhappy:

Super User
Dsldude

Yeah 2/5 always need to be connected, sometimes people will have number 3 connected

but thats not needed and can slow the speeds down.

If your going for just adding a in-line filter on the sky HD box, you don't need to change

anything at the master socket.

Frequent Visitor
jbeer

Many thanks once again

Cheers