Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Visitor
IanH
Accepted Solution

20 mb broadband limited to 2mb

Just checked my account on the sky website and found my unlimited broadband capped at 2 mb! Extremely poor show from sky and gonna be moving to virgin next month if this cap is not lifted. Anyone know why sky would cap his ?
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
MikeB17

Re: 20 mb broadband limited to 2mb

Do you mean your speed is only 2mb or download limit capped at 2GB per month? If its speed the 2mb is probably related to how far you are from the BT exchange - sky will tell you that you can get UP TO 20mb broadband, but I don't know anyone that gets near that!

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
Mrs+Angry55

Comment above is correct and although we are on same have found the max of 3.2mb to be normal for our area although we have found ours to be now capped at 2mb like yourselves. A famous broadband speed checking site can tell you the full potential in your area (use google and type broadband speed testing you will find it near the top) you have to look to the right of the test to get a comparison for your area, for the true ability of your connection. I can understand capping where the line has been misused (torrents or other illegal uses) but I personally am not an excessive user (like to watch occasional documentaries late at night) so can't understand the capping either.

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi IanH, have you tried any troubleshooting steps on the Sky Help Centre to ensure you have correct set up?

Our Dynamic Line Management system automatically tests the line over a 10 day period from activation before setting what it thinks is the best stable speed however the system is not 100% accurate at this. We may need to manually set the profile on your line.

If you have followed the troubleshooting steps above then I would suggest contacting our Broadband Customer Help team to have your line re-profiled to take advantage of any speed increase that is available.

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Visitor
koi.carpalot

Hi Robert  I also am fed up with the slow download speeds, I only get 1 gb  I have to wait over 1 hr just to downlad anything over 100 kg  unfortunately for me,  I live in a village that has no access to Virgin so for the mo. am stuck,can't wait for the laying of fibre optic cabling.  By the way,  does anyone know how many years Sky has been running, not just the digital, but the big dish?

Regular Visitor
sMnJw

My connection speed was at 4.5mb in November on 20mb Unlimited!!!

It is now at 1.9mb ???? confused!

Spoke to a sky engineer who informed me I should contact BT as no faults were showing on 'his screen'

After I explained the fact I was Sky's client and not BT, SKY should investigate the problem. (think I was ignored)

I live relatively close to the Exchange and others in my area are achieving 11mb on Sky.

SORT IT OUT SKY..........

:smileymad:

Furthermore, the Sky engineer initiated a line test without me asking for one and it has gone worse......