Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Scout+Leader
Accepted Solution

08000512592 called me today and I was suspicious

[ Edited ]

08000512592 called me today and claimed to be from Sky and offering me new offers. <REMOVED> I was immediately on alert for a scam. He informed me the call was being recorded, and called me by my surname. He then asked me to confirm my name, which I did. Then, he asked me for my Sky password - no 1st or 5th letter type challenge - straight out full password.

I was quite taken aback at this and told him that is not normal - he then said he could confirm to me what package I was on, what boxes I had, and what my viewing card number was. At this point, I terminated the call and googled the number.

If this is a genuine call from Sky, then surely the old 1st/5th/Nth number password challenge would be more reassuring.

This is not the first call we've had - indeed its about the 4th call I've answered, and overall we are probably into double figures. If the offer is that compelling, surely it should be on My Sky account thingy, or I'd have had a letter - or are Sky going to give me the world for free for a year and its so special they need to ring me and have me tell some random voice over the phone my password - on a call that I didn't instigate...

I think not Gussie!

Moderated: Removed inappropriate/unfounded allegation

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Community Coordinator
chelsea12

08000512592 called me today and I was suspicious

[ Edited ]

Hi Scout+Leader

Sorry if these calls have upset you as this was not intended

Sometimes we do outbound calling for certain offers, the gentleman that called you will have followed the correct procedure to make sure they are speaking to the account holder.

The offers are a supplement to what is already available on your account.   

Should you not wish to receive these calls in future you can check your marketing preferences in your MySky.

Thanks

Jane
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Digger1991

I received a similar call and was also suspicious. When I...

I received a similar call and was also suspicious. When I called Sky they thought it probably WASN'T them but from this it seems they were wrong. Cold calling and asking for passwords is a really dodgy policy - SKY, please change it!

Occasional Visitor
KevinLarkin

Having had calls from this number a few weeks ago, I went...

Having had calls from this number a few weeks ago, I went into MySky account settings and changed my preferences so I wouldn't get any more unwanted calls from them. Lo and behold, I've had two missed calls today from the same number. Very annoying!

CWR
Occasional Visitor
CWR

Exactly the same call received from the number today- 080...

Exactly the same call received from the number today- 08000512592. I was asked for my password in full and when I refused to give it explaining that normal procedure was to be asked for random letters he stated that the correct procedure was for customers to provide the full password but if I was uncomfortable with that I could provide my unique data such as mother's maiden name etc- again in full! I declined his offer. I asked that any special offers be sent by email or post, as that was my preference and he replied that this was not possible.

Also this call, along with others over the past few years, was to my mobile number- the only occasion SKY have had access to my mobile was to enable an engineer to call me to confirm a time slot. I have never agreed to be contacted by telephone. I have asked previously for this number to be taken off the call list and contact to be made through email or post. This has not happened. I have checked my SKY account page online and my mobile number has never appeared there- how do I stop SKY using it?

Occasional Visitor
Jacques+LeMerde

Just got home and seen a missed call from the same number...

[ Edited ]

Just got home and seen a missed call from the same number.  Must be because I have just stopped my SKY TV service after 13 years AND PESTERING ME IS NOT GOING TO MAKE ME CHANGE MY MIND.  <Removed>

Moderated: Removed inappropriate language

Occasional Visitor
tempest1971

If I were asked my whole password then I would hang up. I...

If I were asked my whole password then I would hang up. It must be bad practice for Sky to tell their customer telephone callers to ask this.

Community Coordinator
chelsea12

Re: If I were asked my whole password then I would hang up. I...

Hi Guys,

I can understand your concerns regarding giving the full password on the call, I have sent an email to get this clarified and will post as soon as I get a reply.

Thanks,

Jane
Community Coordinator

l+s
Visitor
l+s

Re: If I were asked my whole password then I would hang up. I...

I have experience working for various Outbound telephone teams within Sky, people contacting you should be able to tell you various different things about your package - however unable to tell you any sensitive private data about yourself (bills, address, contact details etc) before confirming DPA.

Visitor
jasminc

08000512592 called me today too!

Surely if SKY have the thousands of millions of customers that they're always bragging they have that it would take a long time for my number to keep being recycled through your database unless you have a massive warehouse full of people on the phones??? 

Also if I wanted to change/update my package I would ring you! I dont appreciate being hounded when I'm in work and if it keeps on il cancel my Sky and get freeview or something because its ridiculous! :smileymad: 

Community Coordinator
Chris-McP

Re: 08000512592 called me today and I was suspicious

Hi jasminc,

We didn't mean to upset you :smileysad:

Sometimes we do outbound calling for certain offers, the person that called you will be following the correct procedure when conducting the call and how often you are called. How often are you being called?

Should you not wish to receive these calls in future you can check your marketing preferences in your MySky Account.

I apologise and I hope I have helped you.

Chris-McP
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
theoofoof

Re: Having had calls from this number a few weeks ago, I went...

[ Edited ]

I have had the same; and even though I've changed my marketing preferences, they're still ringing me. 8 times since the 27th March - at least once a day in the  week; yesterday it was twice!! Very annoying as I've told them several times that I don't want to be contacted by phone.

I just ignore the calls now (as I do with most numbers I don't recognise) on the basis that if whatever they need to speak to me about is urgent; they'll leave a message.

Visitor
Aedituus

That's all well and good, Chris, but what good is that advice when all you get from the marketing preferences is this?

Problem updating your profile
Unfortunately there was a technical problem and your new preferences have not been saved. Please contact us and we'll update your preferences for you.

Visitor
jasminc

I did change my preferences and im still getting them! 

Is there anyway you can remove my number? 

Staff (Retired)
StacieB

Hi Aedituus and jasminc,

Thanks for your post.

I will escalate your details to our team, who can look into this further for you.

Thanks.